Lughnasa!

This weekend might have marked the 9th annual Lughnasa Festival at the Blue Scorcher if the stars had aligned differently.  Lughnasa! the ancient Irish festival of first harvest. Celebration of berries, grain and the descent of the sun. I organized three community festivals to recognize it from 2007-2009.  Each year approximately 1,000- 3,000 people attended. It required nearly 100…

Going Public . . . and now the rest of the Story

To what purpose is this blog? The universe deemed that my little intro draft be published when I merely wished to save it yesterday. So the question still stands, is this blog meaningful to anyone besides myself? Are there standards as to how many people need to be reading or liking or commenting in order for…

Portals to ALL ONE!

Recently I connected with a another blogger, after words on her blog sparked a chord within me. She got me to thinking about how our actions and choices and approaches impact others – often inadvertently. Arriving at work today, still thinking about her post, a convertible pulled up beside me with the radio blaring, it was the…

The Answer to Everything.

Sometimes I wish that I had a magic wand. Well, often I wish that I had a magic wand. Sometimes I wish I had the answer to all our problems.  The recent waves of crazy make this more so than usual. Each time something happens it seems to up the ante on violence. Like the…

Charging up the Soul Batteries

A few weeks back in the last rays of sun Joe and I took a stroll on the there-and-back-again version of our neighborhood loop. The light was so good I wanted to drink it. We passed only one person in the perfect evening – one of our neighbors, enjoying his own stroll. He alerted us to…

This is Post #100 – When Wishes Are Horses

Can you Yipp? Can you Yopp? Doctor Seuss’ Horton the Elephant declared, “A person’s a person no matter how small.” after hearing the voice of the tiny visionary Dr. H. Hoovey coming from a dust speck. Which led Horton to take action to protect the tiny Whos of Whoville. The Who’s eventually banded together to save themselves, and in the end it is the last…

Overdraft Notice

We have lots of accounts that have nothing to do with the banks.  Our Social Capital accounts are filled by all the emotional and care deposits we have made into our various relationships. Our Nutritional accounts, and Sleep accounts keep our bodies working as they should, and our Resiliency account allows us to weather adversity up to…

Black Lives Matter

I start writing this having  just returned from a community discussion hosted by the Lower Columbia Diversity Project. Facilitated by historian, author and activist Walidah Imarisha, and featuring a panel of Adrienne Cabouet, from Black Lives Matter Portland, and Leila Holstein, co-director of the Portland PFLAG Black Chapter.  There were roughly 40-50 people in attendance. (Click here…

Daring Excursions

My last post was on Cinco de Mayo when Joe and I had a beautiful walk in the woods, which were green and bursting with spring lushness. Since then I have been making slow progress on my 2015 intentions, specifically the massive house reorder a’ la Marie Kondo.  My weeks are divided between working at the…

77 Reasons to Relish our Wild Spaces.

As of late I have been hearing the frogs singing into the night, and have caught just a few bars of the red wing blackbird practicing his song. The quickening of spring is a time of immense transition as the winter birds begin to gather themselves to fly towards their nesting grounds, and the summer birds…

Taking care of our own.

Monday afternoon was sunny and crisply cold, the sky a rich winter blue. I attended the beautiful funeral of my friend Meg. Prayers in Hebrew, and of a more Buddhist nature were recited at the graveside service. Words from Shakespeare, Wendell Berry and a Michigan artist/naturalist Gwen Frostic were spoken. Several people stepped forth with stories from the…

“When sorrows come…”

“There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.”  Hamlet to Horatio These last weeks I have been playing a minor character in the last production in the life of my friend Meg.  She is dying from late stage breast cancer.  I have written before about my views of…